I finally got around to making curtains for our bedroom. We’ve had towels hung over the lace curtains since November, since the bed is right under the windows, and the windows face south but get a lot of morning light. Don’t get me wrong – I love the sun… just not at 7am. I wanted something that I could open during the day to let light in, and would be prettier to look at than white towels! I found “blackout curtain liner” at JoAnn Fabrics in a cream shade that I used to line the decorative fabric I got. Trying to work with the wallpaper to find fabric that wouldn’t clash horribly was a bit of a challenge… the wallpaper (that neither of us picked out) is a green background with varying shades of pink roses… adios using any sort of print anywhere else in the room!
Here’s a picture of the new curtains open… the light coming in the window made the rest of the room seem darker than it was:
I wanted to do the curtains properly, with the liner hemmed separately but the layers sewn together everywhere else, so it would look professional. You’ve got to love the internet… I found a blog called “anna’s nest” with step-by-step directions that were excellent to follow – very easy overall! The actual page with directions can be found here: http://annasnest.com/article/how-to-make-lined-curtains
And voila, the finished curtains, closed. This picture was also taken during daylight, and that blackout liner does an amazing job!