Destin’s dad got me a big bird feeder for Christmas – it holds 6 quarts of seed and two suet cakes and it’s really cool, but way too heavy to hang from a tree or such. I didn’t want to stake it into the ground (it’s got a spot for a post in the bottom) in case we move, although Destin did point out that we could take the feeder with and leave the pole. I finally decided that I would see if I could concrete a post into a great big flower pot.
I bought a huge plastic flower pot from Costco, a galvanized pipe (and then went back and exchanged it for a pipe with smaller diameter), two bags of quick concrete (separate trips, because I didn’t plan volume very well), and a board to make a support for the pipe while the concrete set.
The new pipe still didn’t fit quite right in the bottom of the bird feeder, so I ground it down till it did fit. The pot didn’t come with any drain holes, and my dad had pointed out that I should run a hose through the concrete to drain out the bottom, or my flowers would rot from the water not being able to drain. I used a step drill bit that I got two Christmases ago, and an old hose we found under the shop. It already had a raw end, so I drilled the hole in the pot just big enough to wiggle that through, and it was a good, snug fit. The flower pot didn’t have any lip to clamp the brace for the pipe to, so I used rope to tie that down to the pot by looping it underneath.
One 60 pound bag of quick concrete and about half a 60 pound bag of gravel didn’t fill the pot as far as I wanted – this bird feeder is going to be at the top of a 6 inch pipe and heavy when full – so I headed out to Ace and bought a second bag. That one got about half the remaining gravel mixed in (since we’re not going for aesthetics here, it’s filler… like bread crumbs or oatmeal in meatloaf). It’s full enough now, and weighs somewhere between 150 and 180 pounds. I don’t think I’m going to have a problem with it tipping!
I took some pictures of the project’s progress with my little point-and-shoot. It does a good enough job, and while I would certainly be upset if I got concrete on it, it wouldn’t be the end of the world like if I got concrete on my DSLR! I’m still waiting for the concrete to set so I can remove the brace and trim the garden hose flush with the outside of the pot and the top of the concrete. Once that’s all set, I plan to put an inch or two of gravel over the concrete, add potting soil, and put in some flowers with my bird feeder staked on top! Clicking the picture will take you to the album that shows the steps of the project!