I made a couple minor modifications to the pattern – the pattern called for extra wide double-fold bias tape, and I used Wright’s double fold quilt binding instead. It actually looked in the photos on the tutorial like they may have used the quilt binding as well. At a difference of 0.5 inches to 0.88 inches, it seemed like the wider bias tape would be a better bet for the waist string. Then I had to make a second trip back to the fabric store to buy thread that matches, as it turned out I didn’t own any the right color. I really need to just start buying thread that matches my project and running the risk of duplicate spools instead of making multiple trips!
Another modification I made was reinforcing the corners of the pockets with triangles stitched in to help with the pull on the end of the seam, as well as reinforcing where the waist string is sewn into the apron. And, as with all the things I make, the fabric was all pre-shrunk on warm to help prevent future shrinking/bleeding. (I also love having my little labels to add to the things I make!)