As of this past Friday, I finally finished the last of the four dresses I’d agreed to make for my friend’s trip to Disneyland with her girls! I got the purses finished a few weeks ago, but I came right down to the wire on the dresses… My friend purchased the fabric and made the patterns, and I did the assembly, as well as a few tweaks… like lining the tops. The dresses are 100% cotton, which will be so much cooler for southern California in September than the polyester princess dresses sold in the parks!
Tinker Bell has a side zip, and I lined the top mainly because it was the easiest way to finish the neck line! Around the top edge of the lining of all dresses is also a strip of fusible featherweight interfacing – hidden between the layers – to help hold the shape of the neckline. The petals of the skirt also have sewn-in interfacing to give them some structure as well.
Anna looks rather plain in this photo, but my friend has some applique she was ready to apply to the top of the dress, to make it more like Anna’s dress from the movie. Also, being for southern California in September, the dress just has the cap sleeves, without the light blue long-sleeved under layer that Anna is seen wearing in the movie after the snow takes over.
Elsa has a glitter-covered tulle cape sewn into the top of the dress back – fun without the choking factor that many capes tied around the neck have. The main fabric of the dress is speckled with glitter, and after running this fabric through my overlock machine before pre-washing it, the glitter fallout made my sewing room look like Tinker Bell exploded.
I got the dresses handed off this past Saturday – just in time for their trip to Disneyland tomorrow!