I’ve finally finished the “baby sack” that was done as a commissioned piece. The idea is more or less instant swaddling, or a blanket that the baby can’t kick off – kind of a sock you can fit an entire baby in. As the person it was made for is a huge fan of the Seattle Seahawks, that was the theme of this piece. The photo turned out a little dark, but the yarn colors were Red Heart Super Saver “white”, “spring green”, and “soft navy”.
I was shown a photo of a crocheted blue, green, and white baby sack, with a white “12” on the front, for the “12th man”, and I ended up pulling from several patterns to make a knit baby sack. I like the look of knitting better than crochet, especially for things like blankets and sweaters, and it has the advantage that it seems to stretch better than a crocheted piece. As the photo I was shown had the baby wearing a matching hat, I used Melissa Simpson’s “Be Loving” pattern from Ravelry.
I chose (poorly) to use fluffy yarn to make the “12” on the front… this ended up problematic as it does not crochet well – you can’t see where your stitches were on the previous row. I ended up having to scrap my plan of crocheting the numbers and then sewing them on, and instead used a stencil made from the “Allstar” font on my computer, and crochet-embroidered the 12. I’m sure there is a proper term for what I did (unless nobody else is dumb enough to try this) – I ran the yarn inside the sack, and using a crochet hook, pulled it up between knit stitches, and did a slip stitch to outline, and then fill in, the numbers. Yikes! But it’s finally done, so ta-da!
I’m still working on my bags for my Etsy store, and am finally getting my small size bags completed. I hope to have those listed this week. When I purchased my first batch of fabric, I misjudged how much fabric I needed to make four bags, and came up short. I had a decent sized piece of fabric left over from three of my fabrics, and so I reworked my bag pattern into a much smaller size. This size will be a good lunch bag size (though it is not insulated), or it could even make a good small project bag. As an added feature, I’ve added a single plastic snap in the middle of the bag between the handles, to help hold the contents of the bag inside.
I’ve also begun making some hair bows with no-slip-grip, like the ones I made to match the dresses for my niece, with fabric yo-yos and buttons. I bought two sizes of the Clover Yo-Yo maker (30mm and 45mm), and so far it’s been money well spent – the yo-yos are a lot faster and easier to make with these little tools! I hope to get a few of those listed soon, as well.