Since I worked yesterday, this was a very short weekend… But I seem to have gotten quite a bit done!
We decorated the house a little for Halloween… orange lights on our Japanese Maple and in the window, corn stalks by the window and door, orange bulbs for porch lights… and I’m sure Mia will be spending all of Halloween night under the bed if we get any Trick-or-Treaters!
I also made a dozen soy candles that I’d found the idea for in Pinterest. They were pretty easy to make, and I’ve still got enough wax and wicks left over to make another dozen, since I’d ordered a 10 pound bag of Soy 444 wax, and a 50 pack of wicks. I used two popsicle sticks and a paperclip for each jar to hold the wick upright and centered – since I already had both, it was loads cheaper than the fancy wick centering pieces you can buy for candle making! I used half-pint jelly jars, and the candles end up just under $2 each to make (as long as I make 24), which I think is pretty good… I bought some tealights yesterday on my way home from work since the power was going in and out, and saw that plain votives were over a dollar each at the store I was at!
I like how they turned out – I waited until the wax temp was down to about 125°F to pour most of the candles, and there was very little shrinkage even with the first one I poured at about 150° – much easier than working with paraffin wax, and it’s supposed to burn cleaner, too!
To top it off, I also made a batch of Ooey Gooey Monster Cookies that I’d found the recipe for on Pinterest. They’re not as sweet as I’m used to cookies being, but they turned out pretty good. I wasn’t able to find any of the Wilton bloodshot eyes that were used in the ones in the recipe, but I did use a package of the Wilton candy eyes… and about half a bottle of neon green food coloring! Yum!