Not Little Red Riding Hood!
(and yes, I’m aware that it’s the three little pigs that own that song!)
For Halloween, one of my coworkers commissioned a cape for her daughter – she’ll be Little Red Riding Hood. At momma’s request, I tweaked the pattern she’d picked out (Burda pattern 9674) to make it fully lined and reversible. The original directions called for the cape to be made from fleece, lined just around the edges and in the hood, and for short seams on the sides to define “sleeves”. My coworker had picked out red flannel for the outside, and some adorably soft minky for the cape to be fully lined. So, I just made two of the “outside” of the cape, sewed them together, turned it, and voila! Reversible!
Both red side and gray sides even have pockets!
Since the original pattern called for two side seams to define “sleeves” that would hinder being able to flip the cape inside-out, I used some KAM snaps to make optional sleeves. Using the lines marked on the original pattern for the seams, I inserted a piece of 3/8″ ribbon on each side of the cape when I sewed the two layers together. After turning the cape and top stitching, I cut the ribbons to length so that the ribbon was folded twice – each snap side would be going through three layers of ribbon. Now the snaps can either be snapped to create a defined spot for a hand to go, or left undone. Rather than just attaching the front and back at the edges, I wanted it to be optional – especially as the little girl it’s for is a little over a year old, and the cape is a size 4T. I suspect little hands wouldn’t reach the edge in any case just yet.
I made a tab at the top of the cape to have it button under her chin, and used my vintage Singer Automatic Buttonholer to do the buttonhole. Thank heavens for that! I find that buttonholes are a nightmare to freehand using a satin stitch, and this way I was able to do an “eyelet” buttonhole, which I think looks nicer.
To make it totally reversible, I got a pair of pretty buttons, and sewed them to the back and front of one side of the cape – so directly behind that button on the red side, is another identical button. I actually had to sew them on twice – the first time I sewed them so snugly that I couldn’t get the buttonhole tab behind the button!
I’m really pleased with how the cape turned out – and very thankful that I researched sewing minky before starting! Since the fabric is slightly stretchy, a gazillion pins and a walking presser foot made a world of difference! I even sewed a tag into the right side pocket of the red cape side 🙂