A couple of weeks ago, we’d been up in the attic (Destin thoroughly explored, I mostly watched from the ladder), and found some bits that needed fixing… the cardboard baffles that are supposed to keep insulation out of the vents under the roof line were failing and the vents were getting packed with insulation, and there were some bees making a nest in one end of the attic. We’d also found an empty can of bee spray that seemed a little odd at the time, as it wasn’t by the bees that were working on building a home.
Last weekend, Destin bought some new foam baffles to replace the cardboard, and headed up into the attic to do some repairs and bee killing. While he was up there, he discovered why the empty can of bee killer was in the attic… and that the last homeowners hadn’t only left the empty bee killer in the attic, but the entire hornet nest they’d killed. I’d never seen a hornet nest made out of particle board (roof sheeting) before. It’s a much different look than the drab brown I’m used to seeing under roof eaves and in trees.
Destin spent a good deal of time in the attic working on the baffles and cleaning up dead bees, but it’s coming along, and hopefully letting the attic breathe better will help keep the house cooler this coming summer! Luckily for him, he had some Tyvek coveralls to help keep the insulation out of his clothes, even if it turns into a sauna suit quickly!
While Destin worked in the attic, I worked on some sewing. I’d decided that the Sweet Annies (yes, plural – mine, and my niece’s) needed Valentine’s Day dresses and hair bows, so I made two sets, as well as a matching hair bow for my niece (top left in the picture on the right), which I mailed off with the Annie-outfit on Monday.
It occurs to me that I never shared my Annie, with her blue dress finished. She does have two proper outfits now, which is quite the improvement over lazing about in her birthday suit! I’ll have to do a photo shoot with her and share the photos soon!
I also made a dozen soy wax candles in half-pint jelly jars, and worked on a bit of sewing for my Etsy shop over the weekend. I haven’t gotten anything new listed yet, but keep an eye out! I’m hoping to get a few more things put together before I get everything listed.
I’m also super excited about the Yarnspirations CAL (crochet along) that started this past Tuesday! I’ll have to post photos as soon as I’m finished with clue #1!
On another front, my fish tank seems to have stabilized. I’d had a bit of trouble (read: nine inhabitants died over the course of four days) with my fish tank shortly after the last round of fish I bought. I’m still not entirely positive what happened, but I suspect that one of the fish I bought was ill. Other than the pH being a little high, all other water levels were right where they were supposed to be, so I’m fairly certain that wasn’t the cause. I lost 6 neon tetras, my betta (Spike), my Mickey Mouse platy, and one frog. I’m unsure if it was one of the new frogs, or one of the frogs I got when I originally set up my tank. I’m a little hesitant to get more fish, though I’ve certainly got the room, and I like long-finned Danios, but I may need to look into getting a small (one gallon or so) filtered tank to use as a “quarantine tank” before adding new fish to my existing tank.
EDIT: Unfortunately, I saw tonight that another frog had perished, and that at some point in time, so had my snail. The snail was never terribly active, so it wasn’t unusual for it to be sucked up into its shell… but I noticed tonight that it was no longer in its shell, and unlike a hermit crab, the aquatic snails can’t simply take off their shell. 🙁 I will try increasing the frequency of water changes, and perhaps using bottled water for good measure, though I do use water conditioner.