Inspired by Chantelle’s post today at FatMumSlim, here are my “20 things about me”…
1. I’m terrified of heights and have terrible balance while on the ground, but I’ve been skydiving and I love going flying in airplanes. I got a gift certificate for an intro flying lesson for my birthday this year, and I can’t wait to use it!
2. I’m addicted to most things crafting, especially sewing, knitting and crocheting. At least my employers won’t have to worry about me being able to claim carpal tunnel injuries as a work injury!
3. I love pets, as long as they don’t have more than four legs. I’ve got a fish tank and two cats (Monkey and Mia), currently, but I’d really like to add a few chickens and a large-ish dog to the mix. I’d really love to have a Labrador Retriever or Labrador-German Shepherd mix.
4. I define “family” more by the relationship I have with people than being related by blood. Sharing genetic material doesn’t make a family… the relationship does, and I’m happy to call several people “family” that I’m not biologically related to.
5. I like being outdoors and going hiking, even though I sunburn ridiculously easily, hate bugs, and appear to be a mosquito magnet. It still blows my mind how beautiful the area I live in is, and all of the gorgeous hikes (especially around Mount Rainier) are just a day trip for us. I don’t think I would survive living where there are no mountains!
6. I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I appreciate that it is quick to style when I allow it to be curly, but I enjoy battling it into submission – and straightness – as it hardly tangles when straight, and I don’t end up with curls of hair tickling my ears or poking me in the eye. At least it seems to be easier to make curly hair straight than to make straight hair curly!
7. If the dress code at my job would allow it, I would seriously consider streaking my hair some unnatural color (like neon pink) just for the fun of it. However, the dress code says natural hair colors only, and so it stays my own natural hair color.
8. I enjoy target shooting, but I haven’t gone in far too long. I’m not sure I would be able to bring myself to hunt, though. I like eating meat, but I don’t want to be the one that made it dead, if that makes any sense to anyone.
9. One of my very favorite vacation spots is at a lake, even though I can barely swim. I really should rectify that one of these days, but I can float in an inflatable tube like nobody’s business!
10. It’s been long enough since I’ve been on a proper vacation that I’m looking forward to jury duty next month for the change of scenery. I actually think it could be interesting to be selected for a jury, but I’ve heard the sit-and-wait part of the process is very tedious… and according to the website for my county’s court, I won’t even be allowed to bring my crochet or knitting with me as crochet hooks and knitting needles could be used as weapons! I need a proper vacation… soon!
11. I spoil my cats far too much, especially when they wake me up halfway in the night. Half asleep I’m evidently far more courteous than when fully awake, because I will try to get comfortable around the cat while half asleep, but when fully awake I will relocate the cat to the floor.
12. Even though I’m 30, I still have my teddy bear. He sits on the nightstand instead of being in the bed with me now, but I can’t bring myself to put him “away” somewhere!
13. I procrastinate any chores that involve phone calls for as long as I can. I spend a good portion of my day at work on the phone, so being on the phone when I get off of work is one of the last things I want to do.
14. I’ve gotten so used to typing, and the speed at which I can do it, that having to write large amounts by hand drives me slightly nuts as my pen can’t keep up with my brain nearly as well as my fingers on a keyboard can. I do enjoy writing letters by hand, though.
15. I enjoy making gifts for people more than just going out and buying something, but I worry far more if they’ll like it or not when I’ve handmade something.
16. My favorite flowers are forget-me-nots. They grew in my grandparents’ back yard when I was little, and the little blue flowers were one of the ones I was allowed to pick as a toddler. I still love the little flowers, though if you plant them in a garden rather than a flower pot, it truly will be very hard to forget you planted them as they like to re-seed themselves and come back more prolific than ever!
17. I like cooking and love baking, but I hate the cleanup and all the dishes to wash that go along with it! I like baking better than cooking, but that’s likely because I’m a big fan of dessert type foods 🙂
18. I love it when fruits and berries are in season locally. I love being able to get them very fresh, and I could eat berries by the pound quite easily. I consider the 18oz. container of blueberries from Costco to be very nearly “single serving.”
19. I was supposed to put flea medicine on both of the cats when I got home tonight, but I forgot and it’s too late now because it’s too near bedtime and they like to snuggle… especially if I’ve just put flea medicine on them. Monkey’s the only one that goes out, but I figure it’s good to share the love… and keep them from sharing fleas… and so poor Mia gets it too. Neither approve, and instead of putting it on the back of the neck like I’m supposed to, I have to put it halfway up the back of Monkey’s head, otherwise she can reach to lick it off.
20. There are several blogs that I really enjoy following, most from people I’ve never actually met face to face: FatMumSlim, CinnamonPurl, Our Crazy Beautiful Life, and When I Grow Up, as well as OCD: Obsessive Crafting Disorder and Chiots Run. Sometimes I wonder if anybody I don’t know reads my blog regularly, but I don’t think I’m that terribly interesting unless you like sewing and somebody who won’t shut up about her cats! Alas, I only have “fur-babies” though, so I don’t have as much material as those wonderful ladies who are mommas!
Tell me one thing about you in the comments! If you have a blog and do a post, come back and leave a link in the comments to share 🙂 If you do leave a comment, don’t be concerned when it does not appear right away – to minimize spam, I have to approve each comment before it is posted.