Some of these projects actually happened during the week, but what the heck, right?
Sew Together Bag (part 2)
On Tuesday, I was able to go out and buy the final zipper for the Sew Together Bag that I started last weekend, and finish off the bag! The only reason that I didn’t finish it Monday is because I didn’t get off of work until just after 8:30pm. The last steps went smoothly (who knew a walking presser foot would walk right over zipper teeth beautifully?), and I can’t wait to make one of these bags for myself… as soon as I decide on fabrics. There are just too many that I love! I also started a matching needle book this afternoon, but I need to get some Wonder-Under (iron-on adhesive) before I can finish it. Soon…! I can’t wait to gift this!
Polaroid Greeting Swap
I didn’t get any more blocks sewn this week (I received three, though!), but I got greeting cards printed, and typed an “about me” letter to print to go with them. I decided to print cards like I do to send my Grandma, with photos from our hikes (and a couple of Annie having adventures). I’ll be working on filling them out this week and mailing off the ones I’ve got finished, and hopefully getting the last blocks done in a week or two. Ship deadline is November 30th for this swap!
Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap
As of last night, the mini quilt I’ve been working on since August for the Schnitzel & Boo Mini Quilt Swap is DONE, except for needing a quilt label, which I need to do this week. I bailed on my cotton batting at the last minute and went and picked up some nice Tuscany Collection Polyester Batting because I really wasn’t happy with the “3-5% shrinkage” on their cotton batting. While that is standard across cotton battings, it can create a “crinkled” look after you wash the quilt. That can be neat on some quilts, especially the ones designed to look old-timey, but I didn’t want that to happen to this mini quilt should it ever get washed! The quilting went faster than I’d expected (started Thursday, finished Saturday), and I was able to get the binding on last night, too! I’m so excited that I’ve got this done, and with a week to spare before the mandatory shipping date so I have time to show it off! I’ll do a proper (read: in-depth, possibly quite boring to non-quilters) post on it next week after it’s been shipped, with photos showing the entire quilt. Until then, you’ll just have to deal with that tease of a photo 😉
Today I also finished off the dumpling pouch that I made for my Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap partner as an extra goody. I’ve had the majority of it finished for weeks, but I’d been waiting to bind my quilt to finish off the two exposed ends on the inside of the pouch, because I wanted them to match the quilt. So voila, a finished dumpling pouch! I wish I’d known that my partner was participating in the Dumpling Pouch Swap on Instagram, otherwise I would have made her a different type of pouch, but it’s too late now! At least pouches are always handy. I had hoped to use the variegated thread you can see outlining the hexagons on the pouch to quilt my mini quilt, but because the bobbin color doesn’t match the top thread due to it being variegated, I couldn’t get the tension adjusted right so one wasn’t showing through the other side.
Bertie the Bat
This week I finally started the crochet bat I’ve had the pattern laying around for. The pattern is by Diana, and can be found free under “Morgan Batman” on Ravelry. I’ve named mine Bertie, though. I started him early this week, but didn’t finish him until today (a day late for Halloween – oops) but at least I finished him! I’m terrible at finishing amigurumis, especially when it gets to the part of sewing the pieces together! I used Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Cotton yarn, even though it kills me a little to shop there, and a size E (3.5mm) hook. To stuff him, I used cotton batting, which I’m not sure yet if I like or not. On the up side, it doesn’t get little bits everywhere like polyfil does (or stick out between the stitches like I’ve had polyfil do), but it was also nearly impossible to get my needle through to hide yarn ends, because it is so dense. I’ll have to keep that in mind for what types of patterns I use it with.
I think that’s the extent of my projects this weekend! The rainy weekend was an excellent excuse to spend all weekend in my sewing room, and I’ve already got plans for some projects that I need to either work on or start this week!