Despite – or in spite of – the weather, we’ve managed to make some progress on my Garden Coop this week. Wednesday evening, we hauled the four walls out of the garage and assembled them into a cube on the back patio, and yesterday we got most of the remaining framing done for the hen house part (in the rain). The weather behaved itself for long enough today that I was able to help Destin pry up some patio blocks (they’re 2 foot square, and heavy) and we got cinder blocks lined up, leveled, and half buried. The coop has been moved to it’s final location! It’s a good thing that this is starting to come together, because my chicks are getting big (and stinky)!
This afternoon, I discovered that Cleo is nearly big enough to eat out of the top of her feeder! I drilled the hole in the plastic bottle two or three weeks ago, when I realized how fast they were going through feed. Being able to fill it from the top lets me get a lot more feed into it!
I’m having to clean out the pine shavings in their brooder every few days now to keep the house from smelling like chickens, since these ladies are still freeloading in the guest room. I tried to introduce Mia to them the other day… and my ‘fraidy cat is afraid of chicks that are currently about half her size. They were being quite noisy as they were in their cardboard box for brooder cleaning, but who else has a cat that’s afraid of birds?!
Henrietta isn’t nearly as good at flight as the other ladies are (she’s the one left behind on the brooder floor) – she’s my largest, and has the most trouble getting flown up onto the edge of the brooder, where they like to hang out when I take the lid off. Maybe I should have named her Opus! Trying to keep all of the chicks in the brooder is a challenge when the lid is open, so I was very surprised when I took them outside into the sunshine for the first time on Friday, and none of them wanted to come out of the box! Monkey was very intrigued as she watched from the house, but remains oblivious that I brought this 4-piece happy meal back into the house through one door as she went out through another, and hid them in the guest room again!
It makes me laugh at how prehistoric my chicks look, especially at this point where they’re curious about quite a lot, and appear to have tiny heads compared to the rest of their body – which is emphasized by their bodies being mostly feathered at this point, while their heads are still mostly downy!
This last week hasn’t been entirely chicks and coops – I’ve managed to squeeze in a little sewing, too. I got the block of the month for the Tacoma MQG finished… with about 4 hours to spare before the meeting on Thursday!
May’s block was a spool block, with as few or as many spools as we wanted to include, in yellow and orange with a “low volume” background. Thanks to a helpful tutorial, this block was my favorite so far for the block of the month. I’ve got a list of projects that I want to work on, but the coop is taking priority for now. Now that Destin is on day shift for the summer, he’s home in the evenings to help with projects, and morning coming early means an earlier bedtime. I’ve got less sewing time in the evenings for now, but I’m also actually getting a reasonable amount of sleep! Once my chickens are outside, though, it’ll be sewing with Doctor Who marathons playing in the background in the evenings!