The coop is… almost done. The “hen house” portion still needs a ramp (Plan A didn’t look like it was going to work very well, so it’s on to Plan B) and the door from the henhouse to inside the coop still needs mounting (the hinges we had on hand aren’t going to work very well), but all of the exterior doors are in place, I’ve got food and water for the girls, and I mounted a couple of maple branches to use as roosts. Destin has been a huge help on this project – I know I couldn’t have done it by myself. It’s currently 96 degrees out (35 if you’re outside the US), so it seemed like a good day to let the girls into the coop, so they can enjoy any breeze that may happen, and scratch around in any dirt in the shade to cool down.
My goal was to have the coop done and occupied by tonight… and at least I got close! At about 6 weeks old, the 2’x4′ plastic bin I was using for a brooder box is a tight fit, and I think everybody is happier having the girls outside! I’ll do a proper post on the coop once it’s completely finished, but this is what you get for now.
As far as I know, Monkey hasn’t discovered the chickens yet. I’m dying to see what her reaction is! And that’s what I get for delaying posting. Monkey came home, and I introduced her. She couldn’t seem to decide if they were prey, or something to be wary of, even though they were locked up in their coop. It was pretty funny – alternating between stalking and shying away.
It’s also 78 degrees in right now, so I’m sitting near the portable AC as I type, thankful for how cool a Chromebook runs compared to my old laptop. I’d love to be working on some of my sewing projects, but I’m not even going to consider plugging in my iron at this point! I’m really looking forward to getting back to my sewing once the coop has been finished off, and I’ve got my tiny bit of garden worked on. I’m very glad I didn’t plan to plant a big garden like I did last year – I knew the coop was going to be a lot of work (although I underestimated it a little, I think), and I wanted to get a feel for how much time the chickens take up daily before jumping in to a big garden again.
I have managed a little bit of sewing in the past two weeks, in the form of a little mohair bear kit that I’d bought through Etsy, so… meet Millie! This is the first time I’ve ever made a bear – or anything – with a 3 dimensional face, and she’s fully jointed. I also got some tiny glass beads (designed for doll stuffing) to put in her feet, paws, and derriere, in order to give her a little weight in the right places. It’s hard to tell her size from the photo, but she’s about 7″ tall standing, and just over 4.5″ tall sitting. The kit was from the late 1990’s based on the copyright information in the pattern, but if I can find some more of the mohair fabric that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, it might be fun to make another one someday. I’d love to figure out a simple little dress (or even a skirt/tutu) for her, and I think she’s going to come shop-hopping with me in a couple of weeks when I do the Washington Quilt Shop Hop. Keep an eye on Instagram for #adventuresofmilliethebear to see what Millie gets up to!
On a side note, this is also the first time I’ve used Pellon Perfect Loft fiberfill… and it’s amazing. I decided to give it a try for my little bear since it advertised that it “will never clump or bunch”, which is a problem that I encountered with regular polyester fiber fill when stuffing the narrow limbs on the Annie dolls that I’ve made. I was able to firmly stuff Millie’s limbs easily, without the limbs turning out “lumpy”. If you use polyester fill making soft toys, I really suggest you try this out – it was so much easier to work with than regular polyester fiber fill that it’s really worth the extra cost.